Andy Bakes Bread: Focaccia
Andy suggested to our listeners to try this flavorful and simple focaccia bread as a great bread for beginning bakers
Bread Flour 4 1/2 cups 666g
Instant Yeast 2 t 10g
Water 16oz +1oz 453g +28g
Sea Salt 2 t 17g
Olive Oil 1oz+1oz+1/2oz 28g +28g+14g
Italian Herb blend 1T 4g
Fresh Rosemary 2 sprigs
Coarse Salt 1t 8g
1. Coat a 9x13 pan with 1 oz olive oil.
2. Using an electric mixer equipped with a bread hook attachment, or in a large mixing bowl add the 16 oz of warm water.
3. Add bread flour, instant yeast, sea salt, and Italian herb blend.
4. Attach bowl and hook to mixer. Begin mixing at a low speed gradually moving to second speed for 10 minutes or mix by hand and knead on counter for 10 min.
5. With the mixer speed set on low begin gradually adding remaining water and second portion of olive oil till absorbed. Once homogenous scrape focaccia dough out of bowl and onto a floured surface.
6. Shape focaccia dough by hand and bench scraper into a smooth rectangular shape and place onto the prepared oiled pan, and coat top and sides with olive oil from pan. Place pan in a warm area and allow to proof until focaccia dough doubles in size 1-2 hours at room temperature.
7. Once proofed, brush focaccia dough with more olive oil from pan. Strip rosemary sprigs and arrange over focaccia dough. Using your finger tips only make deep dimples along the focaccia, penetrating the dough and contacting the bottom of the pan.
8. Proof an additional 15-25 minutes. Preheat a convection oven to 460 F. Arrange baking shelf to a center point in the oven. Once focaccia is proofed sprinkle coarse salt over it and place into the oven to bake for 25 minutes.
9. Once out of the oven brush top with remaining olive oil, and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing focaccia from pan and placing on a wire cooling rack.